Monday, January 17, 2022
politiko-politics-ph-logo

Cavite seeks exemption of measles fund from poll ban

Feb 27, 2019 @ 17:41

Cavite Gov. Jesus Crispin Remulla is seeking exemption from the Commission on Elections (Comelec) restrictions during the election period so that local government units (LGUs) could source out additional funds to address the measles outbreak in the province.

Remulla, chair of the Calabarzon Regional Peace and Order Council (RPOC), presided over the first RPOC Peace and Development Summit on Tuesday, which tackled various peace and security concerns of the region at the NEDA-4A RDC Conference Hall in Barangay Milagrosa here.

Calabarzon is composed of the provinces of Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon.

Remulla said the provincial government has brought up the matter to the Department of Health (DOH) in view of its declaration of state of calamity due to the increasing measles cases in the province.

“Para yung state of emergency (in the province) ma-exemptnaman kami sa kinikilos na kailangan naming gawin dahil may mga pinagbabawal dahil sa election ban (Just like the state of emergency, we want to be exempted to let us act on what to be done because there are things that are prohibited by the election ban),” Remulla said.

He disclosed that they have already released some PHP3 million under the calamity fund, which is earmarked to entice parents to bring along their children to be vaccinated.

“Ang problema ko yung pagtitipon namin ng Barangay Health Workers (BHW), mga 6,000 na iipunin mo. Maraming gastos ang gobyerno, eh wala kaming budget para doon (The problem is the meeting with Barangay Health Workers, we need to gather around 6,000. The government has many expenses, we don’t have a budget for that),” he said, stressing the need for exemption to disburse funds.

Remulla said they have already requested the DOH for the inter-agency intervention measures and support activities as the measles outbreak is an emergency situation.

He said Cavite is a densely populated province and failure to contain around 85 percent of the population may spread the disease further.

He also expressed optimism that the Comelec is reasonable enough to grant the DOH request for exemption from the ban.

Cavite has declared a state of calamity by virtue of Sangguniang Panlalawigan (Provincial Legislative Council) Resolution No. 1165, which was passed last February 18.

Upon his approval of the provincial resolution, Remulla has convened an emergency meeting to discuss the plan of action following the DOH declaration of a measles outbreak in the Calabarzon, which tops the highest number of measles cases so far.

The Provincial Health Office in Cavite has already formed a Measles Outbreak Team to ensure that all emergency protocols and necessary interventions and response are implemented.

The Cavite legislative body has authorized the governor to release P5.904 million from the 5 percent Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management fund for the provision of drugs and medicines, medical supplies and rice to address the cases.

Meanwhile, Dr. Paula Paz Sychiongco, DOH-Calabarzon assistant regional director, said the number of measles cases in the region continues to rise at 3,425, with 83 reported deaths as of February 26. (PNA)

Politiko would love to hear your views on this...
Disclaimer:
The comments posted on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of POLITICS.com.ph. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

Trending News

Want Politiko alerts on your inbox? Subscribe here.