Saturday, November 27, 2021
politiko-politics-ph-logo

Calabarzon leads LGUs which left P92M mitigation fund unspent

Apr 7, 2017 @ 21:38

The Calabarzon region in 2015 led the local government units (LGU) which failed to utilize its mitigation fund amounting to P92.2 million, state auditors said.

In its 2015 consolidated report on the Disaster Risk Reduction and Management (DRRM) fund, the Commission on Audit (COA) said five local government units failed to utilize their 70 percent mitigation fund amounting to P92,207,761.52.

Region IV-A comprised of the Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon lead the bulk of mitigation fund worth P83,056,761.52 unspent by three LGUs.

This was followed by the Negros Island Region where one LGU failed to utilize P4.68 million mitigation fund, and the Bicol Region where one LGU failed to utilize P4.471 million mitigation fund.

This runs counter to a Department of Interior and Local Government Memorandum Circular No. 2012-73, which states that “70 percent of the 5 percent Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Fund may be utilized to procure early warning systems, preparedness equipment and other equipage.”

The mitigation fund comprises 70 percent of the Local Disaster Reduction and Management Fund for disaster prevention and mitigation, preparedness, response, rehabilitation and recovery. The remaining 30 percent is allocated for the quick response fund, which is a stand-by fund for quick relief and recovery program.

Politiko would love to hear your views on this...
Disclaimer:
The comments posted on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of POLITICS.com.ph. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

Trending News

Want Politiko alerts on your inbox? Subscribe here.